The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) is inviting applications for the post of Youth & Gender Specialist, SB-5, based out in Patna, India.
About the Organization
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled.
UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results; to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
The candidate will manage the adolescent and youth and gender programme in the State, providing high-quality technical assistance, introduce innovation for acceleration of results, and results-based programme management.
The candidate will strengthen partnerships and build strategic alliances for advocacy and provide policy advice, leverage financial and technical resources for accelerated achievement of UNFPA’s transformative results and the ICPD Programme of Action.
The candidate will be responsible for:
A. Programme Management and Coordination:
- Support the implementation of UNFPA supported programming in the area of adolescents and youth and gender, applying appropriate strategies and interventions relevant to the State, and for achieving Country Programme results.
- Ensure application of Corporate programme policies and procedures, including those related to budget management, monitoring and oversight.
- Contribute to the formulation of the annual work plans for the State in the area of adolescents and youth and gender, ensuring application and contextualization of appropriate best practices and latest scientific knowledge in the field of adolescent and youth development, especially adolescent reproductive health and gender equality.
- Monitor the day-to-day implementation of work plans through regular consultations with stakeholders and field visits.
- Contribute to preparedness and response to humanitarian crises in the State, ensuring adequate attention given to the needs of women and girls, and inclusion of young people during emergencies.
B. Policy Dialogue and Technical Support:
- Contribute to policy dialogue with Government counterparts and UN and other development partners at the State level, preparing technical briefs and evidence-based materials and data, in favour of policies and budget allocations for programmes targeting women and girls, adolescents and youth.
- Stay up-to-date with UNFPA corporate technical and programme policies and guidelines. Assess implications of new policy developments and strategies on programme execution, and ensure their application as relevant.
- Stay connected to national and international technical communities of practice, ensuring appropriate contextualization of new ideas, best practices, and scientific evidence in the field of gender equality and adolescents and youth development.
- Apply rights-based, gender-responsive and inclusive, and results-based approaches to programme design, implementation and reporting.
- Establish and nurture collaboration and partnerships with technical networks on adolescents and youth development and gender equality.
C. Advocacy and Resource Mobilization:
- Represent UNFPA in meetings with senior and technical government officials as well as multi-lateral, bi-lateral agencies, non-governmental organizations, maintain a healthy and collaborative relationship, and advocate for adolescents and youth participation and inclusion, and gender equality.
- Provide technical inputs towards advocacy efforts of the Country Office, contributing to project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor and high level visitor briefs.
- Contribute technical and evidence-based inputs to advocacy messages on the rights and needs of women and young people, especially girls in respective State.
- Engage in and strengthen technical partnerships and alliances.
- Contribute to CO resource mobilization initiatives, identifying opportunities to leverage funding from government and private sector; contribute technical inputs to concept notes and proposals writing.
- Support CO communications efforts, providing relevant state materials.
Note: The candidate shall be required to carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
- Advanced degree in Law and Human Rights, or
- Psychology, Social Work, Gender Studies, Public Health, Health Economics, public policy, Sociology, Political Science, International Relations, Development Management, or
- Related disciplines.
Knowledge & Experience
- Five years of increasingly responsible professional experience in managing development programmes, prior experience in managing gender and/or adolescent and youth preferred.
- Demonstrable technical expertise in adolescents and youth development, civic engagement, gender equality and gender-based violence.
- Understanding of life-skills including comprehensive sexuality education programmes, gender-based violence, child marriage, and gender-biased sex selection highly desirable.
- Strong understanding of reproductive rights and gender equality dimensions in policy and programme formulation, implementation and monitoring;
- Proven experience in coordinating/managing a multi-disciplinary team of experts and consultants.
- Ability to communicate technical and/or complex issues in a clear and articulated manner, to different types and non-technical audiences;
- Demonstrated ability to network and build partnerships with civil society and youth networks;
- Possess excellent emotional intelligence, interpersonal, negotiating, intercultural communication skills and political acumen;
- Experience in humanitarian preparedness and response is desirable.
- Fluency in English is mandatory.
- Working knowledge of Hindi and/or other national language highly desirable.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change.
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda,
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships,
- Delivering results-based programme,
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilisation.
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package range starting from INR 25,62,938 (Gross) annual, health insurance, pension and other benefits as applicable.
How to Apply?
- UNFPA has established an electronic application management system.
- This allows applicants to create a candidate profile, which can be updated regularly and submitted for more than one vacancy.
- Download the Step by Step Guide to Applying in the E-Recruit System of UNFPA via this link.
- Please print out the Guide for your reference during the registration and application process.
Last date to apply: July 11, 2022 before 5:00 PM IST.