UNDP invites applications from undergraduates for a remote internship opportunity for its Justice Integrity Network in ASEAN, which was launched in 2018.
About the Judicial Integrity Network in ASEAN
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development emphasizes the critical role of well-functioning justice systems for sustainable development, particularly through SDG 16 on Peaceful, Just and Inclusive Societies, which include targets like ensuring equal access to justice for all, reducing corruption and bribery, ensuring access to information, and building effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
Goal 16 is seen as an ‘enabler’ goal (SDG 16+), as peace, justice and strong institutions are all fundamental elements for accelerating progress towards other SDGs and guaranteeing that no one is left behind.
Judiciaries who uphold high standards of integrity and enjoy public trust are one of the cornerstones for ensuring equal access to justice for all, combatting corruption and ensuring accountability.
Given the critical role of the Judiciary, UNDP in 2018, with support from the US Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs and in partnership with the judiciaries of Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand, launched the Judicial Integrity Network in ASEAN.
The initiative is aimed at fostering transparency, promoting integrity and increasing public trust through the exchange of good practices and peer-to-peer learning. The initiative achieved several results.
About the Internship Opportunity
The UNDP Bangkok Regional Hub (BRH) is responsible for the implementation of regional projects, knowledge management activities and the provision of advisory services to the 24 UNDP Country Offices in Asia and the Pacific. Transparency, accountability and anti-corruption are at the core of UNDP work to bridge inequalities in the Asia-Pacific region. BRH is leading UNDP’s anti-corruption work in the Asia-Pacific Region with projects on “Anti-Corruption for Peaceful and Inclusive Societies”, “Judicial Integrity Champions in APEC”, and “Promoting a fair business environment in ASEAN”.
These projects are UNDP’s major vehicle through which it responds to the growing demand for technical assistance in anti-corruption. They support interventions at global, regional and country levels in order to promote national ownership, capacity development, effective aid management and South-South cooperation in addressing corruption and fostering democratic governance.
The Office is thus seeking applications from graduates and undergraduates for an internship opportunity with the Office, to work from their home.
Role and Responsibilities of the Intern
Support to UNDP events organizations: The intern will help manage general documentation and provide support to the organization of events (workshops, seminars etc.) in the areas of transparency, accountability, anti-corruption.
Research, documentation and knowledge management: The intern will support research activities on various issues related to governance, transparency, accountability, anti-corruption in Asia-Pacific countries by:
- conducting research and drafting situation analyses to support country works;
- mapping work and initiatives carried out in UNDP country offices and by other actors so that the regional projects can better share information and identify synergies;
- editing and preparing reports, newsletters, presentations as requested.
Other: The intern will support other/ad hoc activities as seen relevant and needed.
Duration of the UNDP Internship
Required Skills and Experience
Candidates must meet one of the following educational requirements:
- Currently enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher) or;
- Currently enrolled in a final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) or;
- Graduated with a university degree – and if selected, must start the internship within one year after graduation.
- Field of study: Public Administration, Public Policies, International Development, International Relations or equivalent social sciences.
- Knowledge and a proficient user of Microsoft Office productivity tools;
- Computer literate in standard software applications and familiarity with Internet-based research.
- Excellent writing and drafting skills in English as well as good communication skills required;
- Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage.
- Interest and motivation in working in an international organization;
- Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
- Outgoing and initiative-taking person with a goal oriented mind-set;
- Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently;
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Mode: Online
- Location: Home-based
- Duration: 6 months
Click here for the official information about the internship.