IIFT (Indian Institute of Foreign Trade) Delhi’s Centre for WTO Studies is seeking to engage legal academicians for 4 research (legal) positions viz. Research Associate (Legal), Research Fellow (Legal), Senior Research Fellow (Legal), and Senior Research Fellow (Legal) having Ph.D. Degree.
About IIFT and CWS
IIFT: The Indian Institute of Foreign Trade is a civil services training institute for the one of the central civil services Group ‘A’ Gazetted cadre also known as Indian Trade Service cadre, located in New Delhi, India.
CWS: The Centre for WTO Studies (Centre) was established at the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade in November 2002. The Centre is an independent think-tank conducting research and training programmes on the WTO and related matters. The Centre also regularly assists the Government of India in international trade negotiations, disputes and policy matters.
About the Research (Legal) Job Opportunities
The Centre for WTO Studies intends to engage Legal researchers either at the level of Research Associate (Legal) or Research Fellow (Legal) or Senior Research Fellow (Legal) to work on issues related to WTO and international trade. The engagement shall be purely on contractual basis for a period of one year.
The candidate applying for the post should possess the following qualification and experience:
- Qualification: LLB/LLM/PhD (Law) with sound knowledge of International Trade Law.
- Experience: The candidates having research experience on different aspects of international trade law including agriculture, non-tariff barriers, services, trade remedies, electronic commerce and WTO Disputes in any reputed organization shall be preferred.
- Other Skills: The candidates should have sound knowledge of computer application and packages [M.S. Word, M.S. Outlook, Excel, Power Point].
- The candidate should have good command over English (spoken as well as written) and should have experience of research activities.
Candidates who have been awarded Degree in Law or Ph.D. Degree in Law and are in possession of their Degree/Provisional Degree on the date of this advertisement should only apply.
Those who are likely to appear in final examination of LLB in June 2022 or before would also be eligible to apply. If selected, they should have the LLB degree prior to joining.
The Researchers shall be paid fixed monthly emoluments depending upon their qualification and experience as under:
- Research Associate (Legal): ₹ 30,000/- per month
- Research Fellow (Legal): ₹ 36,000/- per month
- Senior Research Fellow (Legal) having at least 3 years research experience: ₹ 48,000/- per month*
- Senior Research Fellow (Legal) having Ph.D. Degree in Law and preferably some independent research experience: ₹ 54,000/- per month
How to Apply?
Indian nationals having the above qualifications and experience should only apply and send their C.V., cover letter and essay by email to email@example.com latest by May 11, 2022.
The candidates are required to write an essay on any one of the following topics, and should not exceed 2500 words (including footnotes):
- How does protection of Intellectual Property Rights pose barrier for access to affordable medicines?
- Can WTO members appoint members of the WTO Appellate Body by resorting to voting?
- Do WTO rules facilitate or prohibit participation of non-governmental entities in WTO processes?
Applications received without essay shall be summarily rejected. The cover letter should clearly state the following:
- Why the candidate is interested in a career in international trade law and in working at the Centre.
- Prior exposure to international trade law (through courses, internship, research/writing, moot court, etc.)
- Any specialization in international trade-related issues either at the undergraduate or postgraduate level.
May 11, 2022